The Pi PoE Switch HAT is an add on board for the Raspberry Pi that brings the Pi Supply Switch technology together with PoE all in one fantastic package!
You can now power your Raspberry Pi and provide an Ethernet connection in any location with just a single cable. Perfect for removing the clutter of wires and for reliable use in remote locations.
The Pi Supply switch was our very first Kickstarter project which we launched way back in February 2013 and has been extremely popular with our customers. Since then we have had a number of requests to make all sorts of power management add ons for the Raspberry Pi, but the most intriguing of these was a power over ethernet (PoE) switch.
Pi PoE Features
We have been working very hard on all of the techincal features so that you don’t have to!
- Fully 802.3af (mode A and B) compliant active power over Ethernet
- Contains physical layer power negotiation circuitry, presenting itself as a Class 0 device
- Fully isolated switched mode power supply (SMPS) – 1500V isolation input to output
- Overload and short circuit protection
- Over temperature protection
- High efficiency (up to 87%) regulated output
- Input voltage 36-56V, output voltage 5V, output current 10-1300mA, max output power 6.5W
- Onboard ATtiny 13A microcontroller for power management functionality
- Configurable on / off switch for intelligent power management
- Leaves all unused GPIO free for use with other add on boards
- Fully assembled board
- Mounting hardware and short ethernet patch cable included
Pi PoE Projects
With Pi PoE, you can create amazing projects like these 🙂
Software and Samples
Pi PoE is completely plug and play – there is no software required in order for Pi PoE to provide power and Ethernet directly to your Raspberry Pi and it will work straight out of the box.
We also have plans to introduce some useful scripts and guides in order for you to make use of the configurable on board button as well as harness the unused power of the ATtiny on board and these will probably be introduced as stretch goals in due course.
We have production ready prototypes (current version is v2.3) in hand which have been fully tested. Manufacture is ready to start as soon as this campaign is funded. You can see one of the assembled boards below:
We have been working on the Pi PoE Switch HAT for just over a year. It actually started life as a self assembly kit for the Model B Raspberry Pi which you can see below:
After a lot of work and the release of two new Raspberry Pi versions, we are delighted to bring this to you in HAT form, and fully assembled for ease of use. If you still have a Model B we also have a limited number of self assembly kits available for the original Model B Raspberry Pi.
Share The Project!
We want to say a big thank you for checking out our project, and your help in making it a reality. You’re great 🙂
We have some special Pi PoE stretch goals up our sleeves that we would just love to reach. So keep on sharing and we’ll show you what we have in store!
Even if you can’t support us with a pledge, why not help us by spreading the word on Twitter, Facebook and any other social network you’re on.
Click any of the links below to share:
You can also use the project shortlink http://kck.st/1KkWoy6 to share by any other method! And you can also use #PiPoE to get our attention on Twitter. And while you’re there, why not like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter at www.facebook.com/PiSupply and www.twitter.com/ThePiPoE